Corfu is the second largest of the Greek islands, after Crete, and it remains one of the most visited places in Greece, with people traveling from all corners of the globe to witness the beauty of the island.
Located in the Ionian Sea next to Kefalonia and Lefkada, Corfu is an island that is steeped in tradition and is home to some impressive natural scenery, excellent diving spots as well as having a mild climate.
Corfu is one of the main tourist hot spots in Greece and Europe, for many great reasons, but if you are traveling there, there are a few things you should know – including the best time to travel to Corfu, what to pack and what temperatures to expect.
Here is all you need to know.
As we mentioned, most people love to travel to Corfu because of its climate, and believe it or not, not all of Greece experiences the same climate. To be specific, Corfu has a hot-summer Mediterranean climate, which means that you can expect dry hot summers and mild wet winters, which makes it a top year-round place to vacation. While June – August is the hottest and driest months, January and February are the coldest months, but still, it never gets too cold in Corfu, which is why plenty of people from colder climates have chosen to settle in Corfu. Before, we get into detail about the best time to travel to Corfu let’s talk about the amount of rainfall you can expect, as well as the temperatures throughout the year, two factors which will surely have an impact on your planning.
The fact that Corfu has some lush green countryside means that this is an island that does get some rain, which helps to keep the land so beautiful, but if you are not a fan of the rain, then you might want to avoid certain times of the year when rainfall is at its heaviest. We can certainly thank this rainfall for the fertile land which Corfu is famous for, which leads to a variety of fresh produce, and next to no water shortages, unlike some of the other islands. Not to mention, that this rainfall helps the vineyards flourish, making it one of the best wine-making islands in Greece.
The driest month overall is July (7mm/0.3inches), but showers can often happen even during the summer months, although quite rare, while the wettest month is November (193mm/7.6inches) when you can almost guarantee rain. It is good to know when the rain is at its heaviest, so you know what to pack, what to expect, and what is the best time to travel to Corfu. The likelihood that you might be planning a trip to Corfu for some sunshine is high, so of course, it is good to know when the weather is at its best, so let’s take a look at the average temperature during the year on the island.
- Average high temperature in January: 57°F (14°C)
- Average high temperature in February: 57°F (14°C)
- Average high temperature in March: 61°F (16°C)
- Average high temperature in April: 66°F (19°C)
- Average high temperature in May: 75°F (24°C)
- Average high temperature in June: 82°F (28°C)
- Average high temperature in July: 88°F (31°C)
- Average high temperature in August: 88°F (31°C)
- Average high temperature in September: 88°F (31°C)
- Average high temperature in October: 73°F (23°C)
- Average high temperature in November: 66°F (19°C)
- Average high temperature in December: 59°F (15°C)
Corfu is the place to go for sun all year round, but as you can see the temperature will vary greatly depending on when you choose to travel. For instance, the hottest months are between July – September, but you can still have great temperatures during May/June/October/November too. So, with that in mind, let’s talk about the best time to travel to Corfu.
Best time to travel to Corfu
For sun sea and sand:
The peak season is of course during the summer which runs from June – to August, and this is when sunshine and long bright days are almost guaranteed, but with the sun sea, and sand, comes the crowds. This is the perfect time to travel if heat is your priority and you don’t want places being busier, and prices being a little higher than usual. It is worth noting that while this is a great time for weather, you will not be the only one with the plan to visit then, so make sure to book any accommodation or day trips well in advance.
To beat the crowds:
For great weather and lesser crowds, the best time to travel to Corfu is during the shoulder seasons, which can either be in April/May or September/October. November is also quite a warm temperature-wise, but this also happens to be the wettest month, so it’s best to consider this when planning. The benefits of the shoulder season, apart from the crowds are, that the prices are lower than usual and there are more available accommodation options.
For winter sun:
If you are looking for a winter break that has sunshine and comfortable temperatures, Corfu could be an ideal destination, and the best month for a winter break would be March when the depths of the winter and rainy season are close to the end and the temperature is still a comfortable 61°F (16°C).
What to pack
Your packing list may vary depending on when you decide to travel to Corfu but there are some essentials you should consider taking with you.
- Sun cream/Sunhat – To protect you from the strong Greek summer sun.
- Beachwear – To take advantage of the beautiful clear waters, or for any watersports, you may undertake.
- Comfortable walking shoes (waterproof if in the wet season) – For exploring the villages and surrounding areas.
- Backpack/beach bag – Consider taking a small foldable day backpack which can be very light and handy for day trips, while the beach bag is ideal for taking the essentials to the beach, both of which can be kept packed separately for convenience.
- A refillable water bottle – To keep you hydrated during the hot days, and to take advantage of the water fountains throughout Corfu which in turn, saves plastic.
- Comfortable light clothes – For those hot Greek summer days.
- Comfortable activewear – For any hiking and day trips you have planned.
- Casual evening attire and shoes – For evening dinner, performances, or visits to wineries (dressy casual will do for this).
The Best eco-friendly Corfu tours
So, if you’ve decided that Corfu is the island for you, or you want to be inspired a bit more by what this island can offer you, then here are some of Baboo’s best tours that feature the stunning island of Corfu.