It’s common for people to visualize island-hopping, crystal-clear water, boat trips, and party atmospheres when they think about Greece, but did you know that there are so many incredible hidden gems throughout the vast country, that are only located on mainland Greece, but feature some unimaginable landscapes.
If you are the type of traveler who loves to uncover the best that a country has to offer, with natural landscapes, local cultures, and hidden gems, then you will not want to miss what we have in store for you.
These are our 5 best mainland tours, all of which have something unique to share with you.
Let’s delve right in.
What’s to expect?
If you are intrigued by this tour and are wondering what you can expect from it, then let us tell you. This 7-day itinerary takes you to some of the most magical parts of the country, including the stunning formation of Meteora and its monasteries, plenty of historical hiking activities, as well as the opportunity to really get to know the village and surrounding area of Zagori – a place that has remained a surreal hidden gem within Greece. You can look forward to the tastes of the local region, meeting local villagers and hearing their stories, as well as enjoying some of the best places that Greece still keeps as its best-kept secret.
- Hike through Vikos Gorge – one of the deepest canyons in the world
- Hike to the mythical alpine Dragon Lake at 2.100m.
- Follow the paths of the ancient monks and hike to the top of the dreamlike area of Meteora.
- Explore the iconic, stone-made villages of Zagori.
- Explore on foot the secret paths of North Pindos National Park and learn more about the myths and stories of the area.
Best suited to This is perfect for those looking to get off the beaten track, see more than just beaches, have a taste for the outdoors, and are curious to learn about local history. It is ideal for couples, friends, and solo travelers, with a good level of fitness.
What’s to expect?
Although many think this is an island, it is connected to the mainland thanks to the Corinth canal, a world-famous narrow canal that is a true sight to see. The Peloponnese is not only known for its wild and rugged landscape with a variety of hidden gems to be discovered every time you go but it is also considered to be the warmest part of Greece, making it a perfect year-round adventure destination. Expect to visit historic Olympia – where the Olympics began in the 8th Century BC, a visit to Kalamata – famous for its world-class olives as well as a trip to Athens. This tour has it all.
- Explore the capital city of Athens with its old city, variety of famous archaeological sites, and local delicacy.
- Enjoy a kayaking tour in the Nafplion seas.
- Embark on a tour of the medieval castle and visit an olive oil manufacturer in Kalamata to learn about the process behind these delectable Greek olives.
- Hike in the mountains of Messene, through the rivers and waterfalls of Polylimnio.
- Visit ancient sites such as Mycenae – a 4,000-year-old civilization and the historic amphitheater of Epidaurus.
Best suited to families, friends, solo travelers, and couples who want to experience a taste of the mainland with a perfect balance of local culture, adventure activities, and historic sites. This is also ideal for anyone wanting a variety of locations in one trip, for a well-rounded experience.
What’s to expect?
During these 7 days, you can expect to experience the sheer beauty of the Greek mainland, including – you guessed it, wild rivers and mountains. This tour will show you nature at its best, and you will get to marvel at some of the most surreal areas of Greece which are the lesser explored, relatively unknown regions. It is because of these aspects that this tour is one of the best mainland Greece tours, especially for nature lovers.
- Explore the dreamlike lake Plastira on a kayak or hydro-bike
- Enjoy horseback riding under the stunning Astraka towers
- Climb the Vradeto steps and enjoy the stunning views over Vikos gorge from the Beloi viewpoint
- Go rafting in one of Europe’s cleanest rivers – Voidomatis
- Visit Vikos gorge, Zagori, and Rogovos natural pools.
Best suited This tour is best suited to those with a good level of fitness, a thirst for adventure, and anyone looking to see a completely different perspective of Greece – which is a far cry from the Greek islands.
What’s to expect?
On this 14 Day multi-destination tour, you will get a chance to experience both the mainland of Greece and its out-of-this-world landscapes and wild scenic beauty, and the islands of Santorini and Mykonos to top it all off. On the mainland, you can expect to take a tour of the capital city of Athens, visit Olympia (the birthplace of the Olympic Games), and marvel at the cliff-top monasteries of Meteora (which is in a league of its own, landscape-wise), enjoy an unforgettable visit to the ancient archeological site of Delphi (with 3,000 years of history to learn about), wander around the bustling coastal city of Nafplio and so much more.
- Explore Athens, Olympia & Nafplio
- Get a guided tour of Delphi by an expert archeologist guide, who will round up 3,000 years of history.
- Take a guided tour of ancient Mycenae, a place that dates back to 2BC.
- Visit Dimitsana village and go river hiking.
- Enjoy your remaining days on the islands of Santorini and Mykonos.
Best suited to This is one of the best mainland Greece tours which is best suited to families, small groups, and families who are looking to experience what the mainland has to offer as well as some downtime on two stunning Greek islands. This is an ideal tour to mix up what Greece has to offer and to get a variety of perspectives of the country.
So, now that we have established why exactly people who want a real Greek experience make it their mission to visit the mainland, we can begin to see which one suits us best. Whether you plan to strike a balance between the mainland and the islands, spend all your time in rugged and wild nature or enjoy more of an action-packed trip, there is a choice for everyone with these 4 best mainland Greece tours. One thing is for certain, whichever one you choose, you can look forward to encountering some truly magical areas which very few have explored, and that’s the beauty of traveling.
For a look at some of Baboo travels other Greece tours, including island hopping, culinary-themed trips, and family vacations, take a look here for some inspiration, or why not create your tailor-made trip with the help of a Destination Expert.