Costa Rica is a paradise for families who love nature and adventure. With its beautiful beaches, stunning rainforests, and rich cultural heritage, there is always something new and exciting to discover. And with its friendly locals and excellent infrastructure, it is a very family-friendly destination.
We are excited to share with you this 10-day itinerary that we have carefully crafted to showcase some of the unique places and adventures that Costa Rica has to offer. This itinerary is tailored specifically for families with kids, with a mix of cultural experiences, outdoor adventures, and relaxation.
What does the itinerary include?
This itinerary includes a mix of activities that will appeal to kids and adults alike. You will visit iconic landmarks and national parks, experience traditional culture, and go on some exciting outdoor adventures. There is also plenty of time for relaxation and downtime, so you can recharge your batteries in between activities.
Day 1: Arrival in San Jose and Exploring the City
- Upon arrival, check-in at your hotel and take some time to rest and get settled.
- In the evening, go for a walk around the city to get a feel for the local culture and try some of the delicious Costa Rican cuisine.
Day 2: Discovering Costa Rica's Culture and History
- Start your day by visiting the National Museum to learn about Costa Rica’s rich cultural history.
- Head to the La Paz Waterfall Gardens to see the beautiful waterfalls and observe some of the local wildlife.
- In the afternoon, visit the Doka Estate to learn about the process of coffee production and taste some of Costa Rica’s finest brews.
Day 3: Hiking and Relaxing at the Arenal Volcano
- Take a day trip to the Arenal Volcano, one of Costa Rica’s most iconic landmarks.
- Go for a hike around the base of the volcano and take in the stunning views.
- In the afternoon, visit the Tabacon Hot Springs to relax in the natural thermal
Day 4: Ziplining and Learning about Cheese Production in the Monteverde Cloud Forest
- Take a day trip to the Monteverde Cloud Forest, a beautiful and biodiverse region known for its stunning views and abundant wildlife.
- Go ziplining through the canopy and visit the Monteverde Butterfly Garden to see some of the local insects.
- In the afternoon, visit the Monteverde Cheese Factory to learn about the process of cheese production and taste some of the local products.
Day 5: Beach Fun and Plantation Tours in Guanacaste
- Take a day trip to the Guanacaste region, known for its beautiful beaches and rich cultural heritage.
- Visit the Hacienda Guachipelín to learn about the process of sugar production and take a tour of the plantation.
- In the afternoon, go for a swim in the crystal-clear waters of Playa Conchal or visit the Rincón de la Vieja National Park to go hiking and observe some of the local wildlife.
Day 6: Exploring Manuel Antonio National Park
- Take a day trip to Manuel Antonio National Park, a beautiful and biodiverse region known for its stunning beaches and abundant wildlife.
- Go for a hike through the park and observe some of the local animals, such as monkeys and sloths.
- In the afternoon, visit the nearby town of Quepos to try some of the local seafood and go shopping at the artisan markets.
Day 7: Relaxing and Enjoying San Jose's Vibrant Culture
- Spend a day in San Jose to relax and recharge.
- Visit the Central Market to see the local crafts and try some of the delicious street food.
- In the afternoon, visit the National Theater to see a performance of traditional Costa Rican music and dance.
- In the evening, go for a stroll through the city’s vibrant nightlife and try some of the local bars and clubs.
Itinerary Suggestion: Family Vacation in Costa Rica
Day 8: Wildlife Watching and Canoeing in Tortuguero National Park
- Take a day trip to Tortuguero National Park, a beautiful and biodiverse region known for its rich wildlife and stunning waterways.
- Go for a boat tour through the canals and observe some of the local animals, such as turtles, monkeys, and crocodiles.
- In the afternoon, visit the village of Tortuguero and learn about the history and culture of the area.
Day 9: Whitewater Rafting and Visiting an Indigenous Community on the Pacuare River
- Go whitewater rafting on the Pacuare River, a thrilling and scenic experience that the whole family will enjoy.
- In the afternoon, visit an indigenous community and learn about their culture and way of life.
Day 10: Soaking Up the Sun on the Caribbean Coast
- Spend the day relaxing on the beautiful beaches of the Caribbean coast.
- Try some of the local seafood and enjoy the laid-back atmosphere of the region.
- In the evening, watch the sunset over the water and reflect on all of the amazing experiences you had on your trip.
In summary, this 10-day itinerary offers a mix of unique experiences and adventures that will keep your family entertained and engaged while you’re in Costa Rica. From visiting iconic landmarks and national parks to experiencing traditional culture and going on outdoor adventures, there is something for everyone in this beautiful country.
Need more help with trip planning? Contact our in-destination travel experts in Costa Rica and they can help you have a worry-free trip. Happy travels!